Are your swim shorts falling apart after just a few trips to the pool or beach? Here, in this post, we share with you some of the best tips to keep your swim shorts in tip-top shape for years to come.
Finding the perfect pair of swim shorts is like a dream come true. Your swimwear not only helps you improve your strokes and speed, by providing your legs with the right aerodynamic support but also keeps you comfortable, helping you enjoy your time in the water.
And, once you have found the right swimsuit for you, you’ll want to ensure that it lasts for years. Find out the best tips below to keep your swim shorts in perfect condition for years to come.
- Wash Your Swim Shorts after Every Wear
Chlorine is harsh on swimwear fabric, and if not washed properly it can make the fibers in the fabric loosen their shape. And, not to mention the sunscreens you use. The ingredients present in your sunscreen can cause the breakdown of the material.
So, make sure that you wash or rinse the swimsuit in plain water before you store it. Showering as soon as you leave the pool also helps in removing traces of chlorine and other harmful chemicals from the fabric.
- Don’t Throw your Trunks in the Washing Machine
For the long life of your swimwear, you have to ensure that you wash it by hand. Don’t use regular detergents as the harsh chemicals in them can break the delicate fibers of your swim shorts. Detergents that you use to wash your delicate innerwear are highly recommended.
Alternatively, using vinegar instead of detergent is a great choice, as it has antibacterial and deodorizing properties. If you are traveling and don’t have access to detergent or vinegar, you can rinse the swimsuit in fresh water and let it dry.
- Follow the Right Hand Washing Techniques
The way you hand wash makes a huge difference in how long your swim shorts last. Here’s an easy-to-follow procedure. Fill a bucket with cold water and add a small amount of detergent or vinegar. Soak your shorts in it for half an hour, and then rinse it under running water.
Use a clean towel, to soak up the excess water from your swimwear. Don’t wring it, as it can damage the spandex fibers. Then, lay it flat to dry.
Here are some other Don’ts to Keep in Mind
- Don’t soak a swimsuit for more than half-an-hour, as it can cause the fibers to loosen.
- Never put your swimming trunks in the dryer. The heat from the dryer weakens the spandex fibers.
- Don’t hang it to dry. This can alter the shape of the garment. Lay it flat.
- Don’t sit on hard surfaces while wearing your swim shorts. Always lay a towel before you sit.
- Don’t use hot water for rinsing your swim shorts. Regular cold tap water is the best option.
- If you wear your favourite pair of swim shorts to the beach, then make sure that you remove all sand particles from it, by rinsing it inside out.
That’s it. With these simple tips, you can extend the life of your favourite swim shorts for longer. Another option is – once you find your favourite pair, you can purchase another pair from the same brand. Rotate the two, so that both shorts last for several years to come.